Can dogs eat Apples – 5 tips + Recipe
An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
But … does this automatically mean that apples are also good for dogs? While apples are full of good stuff you should think so, don’t you? But the opinions about this topic vary. Some people even think that apples are poisonous for dogs. [I hope not, because otherwise my dog is in big trouble …]
So can dogs eat apples? Luckily for me and my dog the truth of the matter lies somewhere in between!
Find out why:
Contents of Can dogs eat Apples – 5 tips + Recipe
- 1 Can dogs eat apples? Why not?
- 2 Can dogs eat apples – 5 tips
- 2.1 Can I feed my dog apples? Are apples healthy for dogs?
- 2.2 Can dogs eat apple cores?
- 2.3 Do apple seeds contain cyanide?
- 2.4 How do I feed apples to my dog?
- 2.5 In which situation can’t I give an apple to my dog
- 2.6 Watch this dog eating an apple!
- 2.7 Conclusion
Can dogs eat apples? Why not?
How good are apples for your dog?
Well actually apples are very good. So yes you can feed your dog apples. As you probably know apples are full of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and lots of soluble fibres. Furthermore: apples are low in calories, which means that you don’t ruin your dog’s diet by giving her apples. Just remove the core and the seeds of the apple and feed the rest of the apple to your dog.
Can dogs eat apples: Infographic
If you are like me, you want to give your dog only the best dog food there is. But this doesn’t mean that your dog doesn’t want something different from time to time. So a juicy crunchy in between will do your dog good. So the short answer to the question can dogs eat apples is: Yes! They are pretty harmless, good for your dog and also appreciated by your dog. But as my mother always liked to say: “everything in moderation”
Watch out for the seeds of the apples because they contain cyanide. So make sure you remove the seeds before you give your dog an apple. The seeds can upset your dog’s tummy even if the cyanide doesn’t act. So avoid the seeds at all costs. Also be sure to remove the core of the apple. This is to prevent your dog from choking, in case the core gets stuck in his throat.
Can dogs eat apples – 5 tips
Can I feed my dog apples? Are apples healthy for dogs?
1Yes if you keep it in moderation and remove the seeds and the core of the apple
Can dogs eat apple cores?
2No. Apple cores are a serious choking hazard. Always remove the apple core!
Do apple seeds contain cyanide?
3Yes, they do. So make sure you remove the seeds from the apple before feeding it to your dog.
How do I feed apples to my dog?
4Of course you can feed them raw apples, but you can also make a tasty recipe out of the apple. For example:
Recipe: Apple cupcakes for your dog
- 1⁄4teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4cup chopped apple
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups water
- small dog treats for garnish
- 1⁄2cup natural peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease muffin tins
- Combine the applesauce, water, vanilla, egg, and honey in a bowl
- In another bowl, mix the four, baking powder
- Slowly add wet to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Stir in apples
- Pour in lightly greased muffin tins and bake about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Cool muffins on a wire rack
- When cool, frost them with the peanut butter and top each one with a small dog treat
In which situation can’t I give an apple to my dog
5In case your dog has kidney ailment or arthritis, then you better don’t give your dog apples. You can always check with your vet of course for good advice.
Watch this dog eating an apple!
So luckily for me I don’t have to worry about my dog, while she only ate a part of the apple and not the seeds or the core. Actually that was even a good thing, while apples are full of Vitamins and fibers. So tomorrow I’m going to give her again an apple, but this time a bit more than just a part.
So after reading this do you dare to give your dog an apple?